Wishing, waiting, hoping. If that was all it took to lose weight, we’d all be rocking skinny jeans and posting pics of our smokin’ bikini bods on Instagram. Wait, no, scratch that last bit. Anyway, clearly, when it comes to shedding unwanted kilos, that won’t cut it. Losing weight is hard work, dammit! You need a solid plan of action, lots of determination and a stash of secret ‘weapons’. We’re not talking AK47s here, we mean tools that help you stay on track and get the job done. Here are a few of our faves.
1. Measuring cups and spoons Do you have portion size complacency? This is the unfortunate condition of ‘eyeballing’ way more than the recommended serving size of whatever it is you’re about to eat. Measuring portions is a great way to keep you in check.
2. Backyard gas barbecue/grill With one of these babies outside your back door, simple, healthy meals are a snap. We’re thinking perfectly grilled chicken, steak seared just right, flavoursome fish, and fresh vegies tossed in a little olive oil. Don’t save your barbecue for special occasions – use it every day to whip your weight-loss efforts into shape.
3. Workout buddy Specifically, someone who’ll call BS when you try to cop out of exercise. She’s the ‘annoying’ friend who will guilt you into that walk, run or Zumba class and she’s a weight-loss weapon in disguise. You can thank her later.
4. Fitness tracker There are many trackers on the market to suit a range of budgets and personal needs, but all have one thing in common: they motivate the heck out of you! Most monitor steps, stairs climbed, heart rate, quality of sleep and kilojoules burned. They’re sold everywhere and are totally worth the investment.
5. Digital food scale Make this nifty gadget your new best friend. No cheating on portion sizes!
6. Workout gear you love Yes, you could exercise in a daggy old T-shirt and sweatpants. But why would you? Pulling on cute workout clothes and shoes can be surprisingly motivating.
7. Food diary app Logging what you eat keeps you honest and helps you learn what works best for you. The best apps feature extensive kilojoule databases and barcode scanners, which are a godsend for making great choices at the grocery store. A couple we love are MyFitnessPal and Easy Diet Diary.
8. Smartphone When you use your mobile to sync your fitness tracker with your food diary app, magic happens. Since your phone is usually with you, you can say sayonara to last excuse.
9. Fitness playlist It really is all about that bass. The right music gets you in the zone, spurs you on, helps you keep pace, elevates your mood and distracts you (in a good way) from physical exertion. Whether it’s a driving beat or something more laid-back, a workout playlist you can groove to is a must. Google ‘best workout music’ for new ideas.
10. Reality check As women, we’re great at overcomplicating the issue of weight loss. We emotionalise our relationship with food, blame hormones, metabolism, thyroid issues, husbands, you name it. Let’s get real; very few weight problems are related to diagnosed medical conditions. Or husbands. It’s still kilojoules in verses kilojoules out – burn more than you consume and you will lose weight. That’s a fact, girlfriend!